Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Not Starving

I know that my mother and Darlene (www.hungryboys.net) want to know what I have been eating since I've been here. I've kept them in the dark so I decided I would sum up my food experience in Belgique. For starters the most common food consumed by yours truly is a durum. A durum is a big tortilla with a Belgian mayo (that doesn't taste like mayo) spread inside of which you can get many different flavors. A common sauce is called samurai which is like a chipotle mayo. Then it is filled with onions, salad, tomatoes, and corn. Then throw in a little grilled chicken or lamb (whatever the mystery meat really is) and it is grilled up and done.

My host mom is Italian and was born in Italy and this influence is evident in her cooking. She loves to make everything, but especially Italian dishes. She keeps everything simple and fresh and LOVES olive oil. I'm not sure I can stress how much she LOVES olive oil. I consider it to be the Italian butter. From time to time though my host dad will cook and it will result in the likes of processed chicken cordon bleu or something of the like. Europe isn't that much different from America, you can still get plenty frozen processed dinners that do taste like plastic.


Sunday:
Lunch: Ham w/ Chili Pepper-Mango Chutney, Baked Potatoes, Green Beans, Salad.
Dinner: Durum

Monday:
Lunch: Brazilian Chicken Sandwich
Dinner: Roast Lamb, Broccoli, Baked Potato

Tuesday: 
Lunch: Lasagneria Club Sandwich, Freshly sliced ham, cheese, pesto mayo, fresh tomatoes, and lettuce
Dinner: Spaghetti Bolognese

Wednesday: 
Lunch: Sandwich with ham, cheese, shredded carrots, lettuce
Dinner: Grilled salmon, peppers and cucumbers cooked in olive oil and lots of garlic

Thursday:
Lunch: Durum
Dinner: Seafood lasagna (White sauce, shrimp and salmon)

Friday: 
Lunch: Mitraillette
Dinner: Student potluck, my contribution was Frites


Frites with andalouse sauce

The start of our all you can eat Indonesian adventure. So much food.

These are all different things you can get at a Durum shop. No I'm not sure what a majority of these things are.


Pizza in Bastogne.

French onion soup.

Chicken and red pepper kebabs.

Cream puffs... with more cream.

A cake that the Indonesian restaurant said took 10 days to make. 1 day for each layer. I'm not convinced they didn't buy it at a grocery store, but they convinced most everyone else.

Durum.

Mitraillette

Meat... I think anyways. It tastes like meat.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're also eating, but frites for a potluck? Seriously? I'm writing this from a monastery in Spain where church bells woke me up for sunrise. Very good food in Barcelona.
    Miss you in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete